You can find below trip report of the Trek covering Upper Mustang Trek in May 2017
outlining the itinerary, link to photos and highlights.
Summary of Phase 3
– Phase 3 of my journey was 7 days of trek (following the 9 days of Dhorpatan Trek in Phase 1 & 21 days of Upper & Lower Dolpo, Exploration of Passes to Tibet & crossing from Upper Dolpo to Upper Mustang ) in Upper Mustang.
-Visit to the beautiful Ghar Gompa – the oldest monastery in Mustang dating back to 8th Century. It was built by Guru Rinpoche, the founder of Tibetan Buddhism. My good fortune of visiting this on the day of Buddha Purnima.
– A visit to Lo Manthang – the walled city and the capital city of the former kingdom of Lo. There are 3 main monasteries in Lho namely the Jhampa Lakhang, Thupchen Lakhang and Choede Lakhang. The Jhampa Lakhang is the oldest monastery in Lo and dates back to the 15th Century.
– A visit to the Choser village to see the Nyphu Gompha and the famous Shija-Jhong caves, that is 5 storeys high. There are a number of these “sky caves” one can see in various parts of Mustang and the approaches to these caves are so high and steep that one wonders how people used to live in these caves in the past.
– A visit to the famous Luri Gompa. The monastery is perched on top of a sandstone like pillar.
A journey crossing 5-6 passes around 4000M. The multi-hued mountains, the barren landscape & peculiar formations in the sandstone pillar like structures leave a lasting impression.
– The majestic views of the Annapurna and Nilgiri mountain ranges enroute to Muktinath
– The culmination of the journey in Muktinath, with the visit to the holy temple.
- Backpack, Headlamp, Hiking Boots, Hiking Poles, Sunglasses